This upcoming universal profile page will definitely mess up the fetcher.

www.gamefaqs.com/boards/11-sballin/63617072

More information about the "universal profile" page. Assuming the URLs will be changing to the same format used by SBAllen in that topic, it will definitely mess up the fetcher.

Even worse, it means the fetcher will have to make a request for every single user profile page in the topic. Currently, if you were to fetch a topic with 50 posts, the fetcher only has to make a total of one request, because it can retrieve the username and User ID straight from the HTML of the GameFAQs topic.

After universal profiles come into play, fetching a 50 post topic means that the fetcher has to fetch the topic first (one request) and then it has to request the user profile page for every user in the topic to retrieve the User ID. So fetching a 50 post topic means the fetcher will make 51 requests to the GameFAQs server just to fetch one topic. Assuming of course there are no duplicates in that topic, as in multiple posts from the same user. So if there was a topic with 5 posts and I made all 5 posts in that topic, the fetcher will only make 2 requests to the GameFAQs server instead of 6 requests.
I have an idea on how to compensate for this. I don't know if it's viable, but if it is then it could work.

I'm thinking of a second database, one hidden from view but used by the fetcher. The fetcher could default check profiles and add the users it finds to this second database. When it comes across a username already in the second database, it would know it has already checked that user and simply ignore him. This would compensate for username changes as well, since a new username means a recheck. Possible?
gu "3266442" wa, regular fetcher
I have a feeling I'll be #1 for quite a while…
I'll wait to see how this gets implemented on GameFAQs before deciding how to counter it.
I will not use abbrev.
So we might get universal profiles next week.

However this gets implemented, we should also have the option to fetch a user profile link. And of course, we'll still be able to fetch topics. Fetching a single user profile link would be great in situations where you know a specific username is not in the database yet, saving the fetcher from having to fetch an entire topic just to add one username.
That would also be great for fetching usernames without active posts, or when they have posts but you don't know where they are. It would also mean that people could fetch their own read-only accounts without having to post them in the manual user queue thread.
I'd say that's a bad idea with the invalid ID error message.
I do think certain users (only whose who can manually add users) should be allowed to fetch usernames by profile link.

Here is a topic discussing the idea of fetching profile links:

www.gamefaqs.com/boards/314159285-gs-gfqs-sharing-test-board/63974072

I proposed the idea of IP banning someone for 24 hours if they try to fetch an invalid profile link. They can still browse the site and fetch topics during the IP ban, but they can't fetch profile links for 24 hours.
Actually, that's a pretty good idea to restrict it like that. Kind of redundant if we have the power to just add the username/ID anyway, but it still takes less effort and it won't be open for abuse.
I could get behind that idea, as well.
Well, the universal profiles have been added, and the format hasn't changed at all.